One of the most frequently asked questions we get at The Green Spark Plug Co. is: which glow plugs do I need? This is an important question – different diesel engines need different glow plugs for healthy engine performance. As leading vehicle parts suppliers in the classic car market, GSP stock an ample range of glow plugs. If you haven’t yet been able to find the glow plugs you need, there’s a good chance you’ll find them here.
We know that it can be difficult and time-consuming to compare numerous reviews and factors when selecting your new glow plugs. That’s why we have created the glow plug finder. Simply enter your basic car details, and our system will generate recommendations of the best glow plugs at the best prices for your make and model.
What are the Different Types of Glow Plugs?
Glow plugs are categorised by temperature, typically as hot, medium or cold. A few factors will affect the type of glow plugs that you need.
- Fuel: the Nitro percentage of your fuel determines ignition point. Nitro produces power (and heat), meaning that the higher the Nitro percentage, the colder your glow plugs should be.
- Engine type: while standard engines usually need standard glow plugs, turbo engines often need specialist plugs.
- Engine size: bigger engines have more mass and retain more heat than smaller engines, Because of this, smaller engines need hotter glow plugs.
- Acceleration: hot glow plugs promote better acceleration and idling, ideal for engines that are sluggish when accelerating. Meanwhile, colder plugs produce more power, ideal for engines that run warm.
How Often Should I Change My Glow Plugs?
Glow plugs are fundamental to engine performance. They release a small spark of electricity when the key is turned to keep your engine running. If they’re not checked during regular services and replaced when worn, they can lead to costly engine damage.
To ensure that you catch your glow plugs before they’re completely worn, it’s important to have regular car services. Most vehicles need to be serviced around once a year or after every 12,000 miles. Your vehicle handbook will provide a guide for your particular car.
The average lifespan of a glow plug is around 100,000 miles. Over time, they will wear and may overheat. These are the signs you should look out for to know when your glow plugs might need replacing.
- Trouble starting your car? Damaged glow plugs might make it difficult to start your vehicle, particularly in cold weather. This is because they can’t generate enough power to fire the engine.
- Noticing smoke? Check your glow plugs as soon as possible if you notice more smoke than normal coming from your car. Faulty glow plugs can interrupt the diesel combustion process.
- High fuel consumption? Damaged glow plugs can stunt the combustion process, leading to decreased fuel efficiency.
- Lack of power? Your vehicle may struggle to accelerate if the combustion process cannot produce enough power.
How Many Glow Plugs Do I Need?
Your car needs one glow plug for each engine cylinder. Even if only one is damaged, you should change them all at the same time. When one plug needs to be replaced, it’s likely that the others aren’t far behind. Replace them all to save costs and minimise vehicle downtime. This way, your glow plugs will also match, ideal for optimal vehicle performance.
Glow plugs are amongst the lowest-priced vehicle parts. You can order the exact quantity that you require from The Green Spark Plug Co.
Why Green Glow Plugs?
The Green Spark Plug Co. stocks over 1,200 glow plugs and can instantly identify the plugs for you using our glow plug finder. We offer the best prices without compromising quality and only stock reliable, OEM brands, such as Bosch, Denso, Champion and NGK.
Buy with confidence using our cost-effective postage plans, and receive free delivery for orders over NZ$236.50. We also offer a simple exchange and returns system for all customers.
GSP pride ourselves on being a reliable provider of high-quality car parts for motor vehicles, boats and specialist equipment. If you require further assistance, our professional team will be happy to help – just call +44 (0) 1477 532 317.
Use the glow plug finder to identify the best glow plugs for your vehicle.